Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dragon Fruit

Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is now a common display in fruit sections of supermarkets.  I have read a lot about the nutritional value of this fruit which includes vitamin C, phosphorous, calcium, fiber and antioxidants but I haven’t tasted this fruit yet.  Frankly, I don’t even know how to eat it.

Yesterday, finally I was able to buy one dragon fruit which cost 33 pesos.  The fruit was already cut into two with the outer covering still on.  I don’t know which part is edible but common sense dictates that the inside flesh is edible.

Dragon fruit is a little slimy.  It is not so sweet … it tastes like water with a little sugar in it but it is soft to the bite and the small seeds are crunchy.  I don’t find it delicious and it has an aftertaste but it is tolerable.

I made a smoothie with half of the dragon fruit, added yoghurt and honey … it was perfect although my kids won’t try it.  I hope their taste buds mature soon and that they will be adventurous enough to try foods which are new to them.

Dragon Fruit cut in half
Dragon fruit smoothie

No comments: